Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Northern Soul

I first went to Northern Soul after a recommendation from the Sunday Age M magazine. You may have guessed by now that I devour the Sunday papers like a delicious roast meal, licking every last succulent bone...mmm bones. (Only joking, I think sucking on bones is gross - a hangover from my vegetarian days.)

This cafe doesn't quite have the shabby chic feeling of other cool eateries in the area. It doesn't have the ridiculously cramped seating and grandma's mismatched crockery but it has elements of style, if in a somewhat haphazard fashion. The decor feels half complete, like the owners ran out of money or confidence. Anyway, enough of that, I can hear you saying, what about the food?

No actually, let's talk about the coffee first. The coffee at Northern Soul is good. Very nice, in fact. Pleasant flavour, good head. 8/10.

The food? Well it's not bad. The first time I went to Northern Soul, I had pumpkin soup. Last weekend they had minestrone. Nothing fancy. More like you dropped around to your neighbour's house and they asked you if you wanted a bowl. The soup of the day ($8) comes with bread and is pretty tasty.

This visit, I had a cheese and bacon muffin ($4) and my sister had an orange and poppy seed muffin ($4). Although the flavour of my muffin was nice, (plenty of cheese and bacon), it did taste a little over seasoned. I think it may have been too much curry powder or something similar. Also, the muffin left me with a floury aftertaste. My sister had the same experience.

All in all, this cafe is a nice place to drop in for a cup of good coffee or a takeaway. But the lack of atmosphere, due to the confused decorating, doesn't make it an exciting place to breakfast on the weekend. And when there are other cafes that are so on the money, it makes Northern Soul... well frankly, a little soul-less.
Northern Soul
843 High Street
Thornbury VIC 3071
Ph. (03) 9480 2333

No comments:

Post a Comment