Thursday, August 13, 2009

Decadant dinner of pancakes with lemon and sugar


When I was little, one of my favourite meal times was when Mum would make pancakes for dinner. Eating them was so naughty - imagine just eating dessert for dinner! Although it is not all that strange to eat a sweet main course in Europe, in Australia it does seem a little odd and somewhat lacking in nutritional requirements. Anyway, sometimes you just have to say stuff it, and eat what you want!

And so was my frame of mind last weekend. Not too mention also being quite poor, so making something that didn't require a trip to the supermarket was highly desirable. However, I did not have Mum's old faithful recipe. Instead I consulted my orange Stephanie Alexander bible and came across the following recipe:

250g plain flour
60g butter
pinch of salt
1 and half cups milk
3 eggs

Put flour into a basin and make a well. Warm butter, salt and milk until butter has melted. Break eggs into well and work in some flour. Add warm milk mixture and whisk until quite smooth. Refrigerate for 2 hours before cooking. The consistency should be like thin cream. If not, thin with more milk.

Heat a frying pan. Wipe pan with a piece of buttered paper for the first pancake. Life pan from heat, then ladle in batter and swirl to spread to edges of pan. Set pan back over heat. After 1 min, lift think outer edge of pancake with a fine spatula and flip pancake using your fingers or spatula. Repeat process.

The recipe was simple and different to how I remember Mum making pancakes, as the eggs are added to the flour and whisked to form a soft dough before adding the milk mixture. This part was quite fun, almost like making pasta from scratch. The end result of the pancakes was quite good also. The first pancake was a bit dodgy (as is always the case) but overall the pancakes were light and spongy.

Give ém a go one day! For breakfast, lunch or dinner ;)

1 comment:

  1. How Lemeridian funding service  grant me a loan!!!

    Hello everyone, I'm Lea Paige Matteo from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to lemeridian funding service for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, I was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, I was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to Le_meridian funding service and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 48hrs just like my friend Lisa, I was also granted a loan of $216,000.00 So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 1.9% and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact Le_meridian funding service. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, I'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or lfdsloans@outlook.com} or Text through Whatsapp +1-989 394 3740.

    ReplyDelete