Saturday, August 1, 2009

Mixed Business


My sister and I ventured to a lovely cafe this morning called Mixed Business. It's in Clifton Hill in an intriguing looking shop. It follows the current trend of discreetly signposting cafes, so that it is almost impossible to tell that it is an eatery, if it weren't for the chairs and tables outside.

There was a slight wait to be seated but we were directed to a bay window to wait on a padded seat on the windowsill. (If you have to wait a while, they bring you coffee in the meantime.) The cafe was very busy but it's a nice big space with ample tables and chairs, so you don't have the claustrophobic, 'I'm in the way' feeling that many poky cafes have these days.

First up we ordered coffee and it was delicious. My latte had a nice head of foam and the coffee itself had a well-rounded roasted flavour without being too bitter. We had to wait a little while for the coffee (and the food) but the waiting staff were polite and friendly and apologised for the delay.

Next I had poached eggs on sourdough with pancetta, parmesan and roasted tomatoes. The ingredients were bursting with flavour inside my mouth, especially the perfectly roasted and sweet flavoured tomatoes. (I asked the staff where they bought their tomatoes - Mecca greengrocers on Queens Pde.) Also the combination of the parmesan, scattered basil leaves and pancetta was a beautiful marriage. And the eggs were perfectly poached, with a wonderful gooey middle.

My sister had a hot bread roll filled with olive tapenade, tomato, spinach, avocado and goat's cheese. She said she could taste each flavour distinctly, and the ingredients were fresh and delicious.

Overall I was incredibly impressed with the food and it is a far superior cafe to many others in the local area. I will definitely be back and I can't wait to try the other dishes on the menu. Also it was reasonably priced with the bill coming to $28 for two coffees and two plates of food.
Mixed Business
486 Queens Parade
Clifton Hill VIC 3068
ph. (03) 9486 1606

No comments:

Post a Comment